Save our planet
Facing the global environmental challenge has always been a key priority in the EU’s relations with Ukraine.
The 2004 European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) Strategy already underlined the fundamental nature of the challenge: «Environmental pollution does not respect borders and can therefore be best addressed through a mix of international, regional and national action. Enhanced environment protection will bring benefits to citizens and businesses both in the Union and in partner countries.»
Eight years on, the EU and its neighbours are working tightly together to tackle common problems such as maritime pollution and to share best practices. Good environmental governance action plans aim to prevent environmental degradation and pollution, protect human health, and achieve a more rational use of natural resources. Improved water quality, better waste management, natural disaster prevention and preparedness and Forest Law Enforcement and Governance (FLEG) are among the many targets.
5 June is World Environment Day. People from all around the world are aware of environmental problems.
We will demonstrate how to manage our world’s natural resources of water and air — and reduce waste. With conferences, exhibitions, workshops, and contests we will celebrate World Environment Day and remind ourselves how important it is to remember the environment in our day-to-day life.
What to see in the European Village
- Contests and quizzes for children and youth with thematic souvenirs
- Water tour by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) — interactive exhibits and demonstrations in cooperation with the Water Museum and local Ukrainian NGOs including Kyiv’s EkoClub
- Practical workshops on how to separate waste and produce ‘new life of things’
- Best practices in ecology and green tourism
- WWF interactive exhibits on biodiversity and protected areas — in cooperation with Ukrainian Protected Areas and Ministry of Environment
- «Green Planet» role play
- Volunteer opportunities to improve the environment